Update 9/11/05: This document was created prior to the actual writing of the foundational essay "Social Meta-Needs: A New Basis for Optimal Interaction" and consequently does not completely and consistently implement the basis for a Freeman Society. It is, however, a possible interim social contract appropriate for a society of people that is on the way to a complete and consistent implementation of their Social Meta-Needs - one composed of people who are not yet fully able to understand and accept the value and operational practicality of the complete and consistent Natural Social Contract (yet to come), but still wish to interact with others in a far less restrictive society that ignores and avoids all governments as much as possible. The complete and consistent contract implementing the theory of Social Meta-Needs, which I have been spiraling in on for some months now, will, upon its draft completion, be "The Natural Social Contract". Therefore, this earlier version has been renamed "Interim Social Contract" and all references within the following document to "Natural Social Contract" should be understood by the reader to apply only to this "Interim Social Contract".
For this reason also, comments and questions regarding this Interim Social Contract are now out of place until sometime in the future when the process of transitioning from the current government dominated society to the Freeman Society is appropriate for discussion. First the final end goal of the Freeman Society must be described as closely as possible; that is the current task. --Paul Wakfer
Update 11/12/06: Finally, the new Natural Social Contract and its set of 37 separate annotation files is now in online with most references linked to it and them. However, the old Natural Social Contract (renamed to Interim Social Contract) remains as both a historical document and because some older dialogues, that are still valuable to leave online, refer to it. Even though the Interim Social Contract is not a complete and consistent implementaion of the Social Meta-Needs as derived in the foundational essay "Social Meta-Needs: A New Basis for Optimal Interaction", it is still a possible interim social contract appropriate for a society of people that is on the way to a complete and consistent implementation of their Social Meta-Needs - one composed of people who are not yet fully able to understand and accept the value and operational practicality of the complete and consistent Natural Social Contract, but still wish to interact with others in a far less restrictive society that ignores and avoids all governments as much as possible. For this reason, I will be working on a revision to it (the Interim Social Contract) so that it will use the same exact definitions as are used for the Natural Social Contract and all other current writing that occurs on this website. This is the only way that a common language and understanding can be possible. This revision will then become one of perhaps many "interim" Social Contracts that are in essence stepping stones from the current society to the Freeman Society. --Paul Wakfer
Note: This version of the Natural Social Contract (NSC) that is designed for execution (signing). There is also an annotated version of the NSC that contains additional text explaining the definitions and clauses of this version.
All questions, comments and/or criticisms should be made to the annotated version, not to this executable document!
There is also an essay, Social Meta-Needs: A New Basis for Optimal Human Interaction, which contains a rigorous presentation of the foundations of the NSC.
Purpose, Terminology and Internal Conventions
This Agreement is a formal and binding Valid Contract which is intended to be executed by the Attested signature of an Individual who has also executed an Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty and proceeds to make both available on a Universal Communications Network for widely accessible inspection.
The definitions within this Agreement are "technical terms" whose purpose is to make its Stipulations clear and self-consistent. All technical terms begin with a capital in each of their occurrences. Some of the technical terms are defined in the Stipulations section of the Agreement rather than in the Definitions section at the beginning of the document. All words not capitalized are used with one of their standard dictionary meanings. If which particular standard meaning is meant is not clear from the context, then it is indicated within parentheses following the word. In this Agreement any word referring to the masculine gender should be taken to also include the feminine gender since the level of description of human relationships and the social meta-needs of optimal human society is so general in this Natural Social Contract that there is never any need to distinguish between men and women.
i. An Existent is something which exists in reality. The only Existents are matter, energy, information (structure and form), space and combinations of these including all attributes and emergent properties of these combinations. Existents are transformed by "causes" during the passage of time into other Existents, their continuers. Such a transformation is called an Event. Objects are assemblages of matter, together with the energy and information contained therein, except Humans.
ii. A Human is a member of the genus Homo Sapiens including his Person (mind and body) and all information within, attributes and emergent properties at any given time in any life state between birth and death. An Individual is a Human who is not dependent on any other particular Individual or Individuals for any essentials of life. A Dependent is a Human who is dependent on another Individual or Individuals (his
iii. The Freedom (also Possible Actions) of an Individual is the set of choices which are available to him at the present moment among all the choices which are not forbidden by the laws of reality. Those choices which currently exist, but of which he is unaware, are part of those which are unavailable to him. An Individual's Liberty is that part of his freedom which remains when there exist any Violations of him by other Individuals, when he is a Party to a Valid Contract, or when he is subject to Privileges or Entitlements under an Acceptable Social Contract.
iv. Lifetime Happiness means the accumulating total of the instantaneous states of happiness of an Individual over his lifetime as evaluated by that Individual.
v. An Adult is an Individual who has achieved his human potential for self-awareness, introspection, abstraction, thought, evaluation and action which enables him to determine both the current state of his happiness and those choices among his Possible Actions which he evaluates are likely to increase his happiness most or decrease it least, thereby maximizing his Lifetime Happiness.
vi. Rational Choice means the goal and intent of a Possible Action which an Adult decides will increase most or decrease least his Lifetime Happiness. A Rational Self-Interest Action is a Rational Choice actually taken.
vii. A Self-Sovereign Individual is any Adult who has signed and published an Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty (of which Appendix B is an example) and an Acceptable Social Contract of which he is not in Breach, both of which are Searchably Linked with his Identifying Information on a Universal Communications Network. An Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty includes, at the least, text similar to that of Appendix A (or a faithful translation of that text to another language). For the meaning of Acceptable Social Contract see Section D of this Agreement. For brevity hereafter in this Agreement the term Freeman will be used in place of Self-Sovereign Individual. A Social Imperative is a required action of this Agreement, the non-fulfillment of which within a time stipulated herein is grounds for a Charge of Breach of this Agreement and for the potential Revocation (forced termination of the Agreement by a Trial) of the status of Freeman with respect to this Agreement. An Involved Individual is the Individual or the Guardian of a Dependent, who is Connected with a Freeman with respect to some Event (the Involvement). A non-Freeman is any Human who is not a Freeman. Also Unacceptable Social Contract, Freemen, non-Freemen, Revoked.
viii. An Individual is Connected with any Existent which is within the boundaries of his Possessions or of which he is aware either through direct sensory contact or via some communications medium.
ix. An action of an Individual is the Effective Cause of some Event-A, if the action was the last Individual action which was a cause of Event-A and some pure chance Event-B could have caused that action to cause the Event-A. Also Effectively Caused.
x. Culpable Harm to an Individual-A by another Individual-B is any Event Effectively Caused by Individual-B which Individual-A perceives to have resulted in: a) a reduction of the value to him of an Existent to which he is Connected, b) a reduction of the scope of his Possible Actions, or c) the need to enforce some Entitlement against Individual-B; except when Individual-A is Trespassing, has Stolen Possession or Control of some Existent to which Individual-B has a Property Entitlement, or when Individual-B has Entitlement, Privilege or has been Permitted by Individual-A to act as he did. A Threat to an Individual-A is any action by another Individual-B which Individual-A thinks is likely to be the Effective Cause of Culpable Harm to him.
xi. An Agent is an Individual-A who acts in the place of another Individual-B according to Individual-B's intentions and purposes either as instructed by Individual-B or as best that Individual-A can determine those purposes. A Culpable Agent is an Individual (whether an Agent or not) who bears ultimate responsibility for all of his Possible Actions which are taken - especially all Violations. A Perpetual Agent is an arrangement by which a Culpable Agent with respect to certain obligations will exist as long as those obligations exist.
xii. Individual-A is said to be under Duress from Individual-B when there is a Threat to Individual-A, Effectively Caused by Individual-B who is not under Duress from Individual-A or his Agents. Voluntary means not under Duress. A Voluntary Relationship is any relationship among Individuals where none is under Duress from any of the others within the relationship or from their Agents. Also Voluntarily, Involuntary.
xiii. A Valid Contract (also just Contract) is a recorded manifest mutual understanding among Individuals who are in a Voluntary Relationship or is a Restitution Requirement or Peonage Enjoinder: a) wherein each receives Consideration, b) which does not require any Party to Breach this Agreement, c) which contains Arbitration Clauses, and d) which contains clauses specifying some method by which each Party may terminate his Involvement in the Contract. The mutual understanding is said to be Stipulated in the Contract, however recorded, and the Individuals who execute the Contract are said to be Parties to it. An Individual is in Breach of a Valid Contract to which he is a Party when he is not acting in accord with its Stipulations, unless only certain Stipulations are specified as being mandatory. Consideration is some right, interest, profit or benefit accruing to, or some forbearance, detriment, loss or responsibility given, suffered or undertaken by each Party to a Valid Contract.1 Arbitration Clauses are one or more Stipulations in a Valid Contract which create a method by which, for the duration of the Valid Contract, there will exist an Individual or group of Individuals (the
xiv. An Entitlement of a Party-A to a Valid Contract is a set of Stipulations of that Contract which specify certain Events of which Party-A is the Effective Cause, and which Permits such Events to not be Violations of the Permitting Party-B. A Global Entitlement is an Entitlement which is Permitted by all executors of Acceptable Social Contracts. A Local Entitlement is an Entitlement which is Permitted by fewer than all executors of Acceptable Social Contracts. An Entitled Individual is an Individual who holds an Entitlement. A Property Entitlement (also just Title) is a special kind of Entitlement related to Property, which contains a set of Stipulations in one or more Valid Contracts concerning the Possible Actions of the
xv. Possession is the state of Existents of being juxtaposed to, enclosed by or held within the boundaries of the Person of an Individual or other of his Possessions; or the state of Real Estate of being Owned or for which Possession has been Permitted. A Possessor of an Existent is an Individual who has it in his Possession. Exclusive Possession means that a Possessor is the only Human who has Possession. Entitled Possession means that a Possessor is an Owner or has acquired Possession by means of a Valid Contract. Also Possessed.
xvi. Control means that an Individual is able to take Possible Actions which direct the operation and effects of some Existent. A Controller of an Existent is an Individual who has it fully or partly under his Control. Exclusive Control means that a Controller is the only Human who has any Control. Entitled Control means that a Controller is an Owner or Possessor or has acquired Control by means of a Valid Contract. Adequate Control means that the Possible Actions of an Individual who is in Possession or Control of the Existent are sufficient to prevent any effect of the Existent from being the Effective Cause of a Violation with respect to any Individual.
xvii. Ownership is the Global Entitlement to hold a Property Entitlement of Possession and Control for a clearly specified type and amount of an Existent, except a Human, granted to a particular Individual who has acquired such Ownership in accord with Acceptable Methods until such time as the Property Entitlement is reassigned by Voluntary Transfer or the Existent is Abandoned (see section A.2. below). Such an Entitled Individual is called an Owner and is said to Own the Existent. Unowned means not Owned. co-Ownership arises when two or more Individuals have Ownership of the same Existent. Also co-Owned, co-Owner.
xviii. Trespass is the state of an Individual-A who has effectively caused the removal or addition of any Possession, or the alteration of the Control of any Existent by an Individual-B without the Permission of Individual-B. Eviction is the Entitlement of the Owner or the Entitled Possessor or Entitled Controller of Property to initiate sufficient force required to terminate the Trespass. Also Trespassing, Trespasser, Trespassed, Evict, Evictor.
xix. Real Estate is a volume of space of which the boundaries, Owner Identifying Information, Possessor Identifying Information and Covenants are specified by the Stipulations within one or more Registered Deeds of Entitlement Searchably Linked with the Identifying Information of each Owner or Possessor. A Covenant is a Stipulation within a Deed of Entitlement specifying certain Permissions and responsibilities (with respect to the Real Estate which remain part of the Deed of Entitlement as a Valid Contract) of each of the Real Estate
xx. The Property of an Individual includes all Existents of which he has Ownership. However, Property may also be merely Possessed by an Individual under a partial Property Entitlement from its Owner.
xxi. Permission is a Valid Contract or a recorded or unrecorded mutual understanding between two Individuals which effects the temporary Voluntary Transfer to one of them of partial or full, use or Control with respect to some portion of a Possession of the other (including the bodies of himself and those of whom he is Guardian), but for which there is no formal mechanism available for recovery of loss from any harm done by either party related to that Possession unless such Permission is by means of a Valid Contract. Withdrawal is the act of terminating Permission. The Terms of Permission are the details of the description of the form and extent of the Voluntary Transfer including the Terms under which Permission is Withdrawn. Also Permit, Permitting, Permitted, Withdraw, Withdrawn.
xxii. Voluntary Transfer is the Voluntary reassignment of full or partial Property Entitlement of Ownership and/or Possession and/or Control of the Property of one Individual to another by either a Valid Contract or Permission.
xxiii. Theft is any Possible Action by an Individual-A which is the Effective Cause of any Existent which is Owned by, in the Possession of or under the Control of Individual-B being transferred into the Possession and/or Control of an Individual-C without the Permission of Individual-B. An Existent which is transferred without the Permission of its Possessor/Controller is called Stolen. A Thief is the Individual-A which is the Effective Cause of the Theft.
xxiv. Abandon is the Voluntary loss (ie. without Voluntary Transfer) of the Possession and of the ability to Control a particular item of Property, which item is then deemed to be Abandoned.
xxv. An Individual-A is said to be Violated when another Individual-B is the Effective Cause of: Culpable Harm to Individual-A, Trespass of the property of Individual-A, Breach of a Valid Contract to which Individual-A is a Party, or a Charge against Individual-A which is invalidated by a Trial. Any Violation is regarded as Alleged from the time of its occurrence until it is Settled when either the Involved Individuals execute a Restitution Agreement, with or without an acknowledgement of Violation, or a Trial makes a Determination regarding the Violation. Also Violation, Violatory, Settlement.
xxvi. Protection is any action by an Individual, which is not a Violation, the intent of which is to prevent a reduction of his Lifetime Happiness.
xxvii. An Equity Relationship is a Voluntary Relationship among mutually Connected Freemen. A Equity Relationship among Disputants, or parties in a Peonage relationship, is said to be Broken. An Equity Relationship among Freemen who are not Disputants or in a Peonage relationship is said to be Intact.
xxviii. A Plaintiff is a Freeman-A who formally accuses another Freeman-B of Violating him and initiates actions as Stipulated in an Acceptable Social Contract to gain Restitution for the
A Defendant is a Freeman-B who is accused by another Freeman-A of Violating him (the Plaintiff), has been informed of the Charges and of the Restitution Request of the Plaintiff, and has in turn informed the Plaintiff of any Charges that the Defendant is making against the Plaintiff (hereinafter called the Counter Charges) and the Restitution Request from the Plaintiff at that point in the proceedings.
A Restitution Request is a detailed description by
xxix. After Charges (or Counter Charges) are published they are Open until such time as they are Dropped by the Plaintiff (or Defendant), Satisfied by the execution of a Restitution Agreement, or until the Determination of a Trial. Dropped means that the Charges or Counter Charges are no longer grounds for a Restitution Request. If they are Dropped or Satisfied before a Determination, then only that simple designation need be attached to their publication. If they are Determined by a Trial then the entire Determination, including Finding, Restitution Requirement and Peonage Enjoinder, if any, is published as an attachment to the Charges (or Counter Charges). Also Satisfaction, Drop.
xxx. A Surrogate is a state of Freeman who is a) acting as an Agent for one of the Disputants in a Mediation or Trial either at the request of a Freeman who is a Disputant or, even without request, for an Individual who is not a Freeman; or b) overseeing the terms of Peonage as the Agent of the Peon. The Surrogate status terminates with the end of the Mediation or Trial, or in the case of Peonage upon its termination.
xxxi. Mediation is any Voluntary process which achieves a Restitution Agreement among Disputants, and which Settles Charges, Counter Charges and all Restitutions to the Satisfaction of all Disputants with or without any acknowledgement of the occurrence of a Violation.
xxxii. A Trial is a process which results in a Determination. If the Charges are validated, then the Defendant becomes a Violator and the Plaintiff becomes a Victim, both retroactive to the time the Violation is Determined to have occurred. If the Counter Charges are validated, then the Plaintiff becomes a Violator and the Defendant becomes a Victim, again both retroactive to the time the Violation is Determined to have occurred. A Determination is the decision of a Trial with respect to all Charges, Counter Charges, Restitution Requests and costs which results in a Finding (the validation - truth or falsity - of Charges and Counter Charges), a Restitution Requirement, which may result in a Peonage Enjoinder and/or a Revocation of the Violator's status of Freeman, if one of the Charges is Breach of an Acceptable Social Contract, all of which are then published on a Universal Communications Network Searchably Linked to the Identifying Information of the Disputants. A Freeman is called a Judge while acting as director and adjudicator of a Trial. Any Trial may also include one or more Freemen, a Jury, who then make the Determination, but a Charge of Breach of an Acceptable Social Contract must be Determined by a Jury of which all Freemen may be members. A Victim is a Freeman in an Equity Relationship who is Determined to have been Violated by another Freeman in that Equity Relationship. A Violator is a Freeman in a Equity Relationship who is Determined to have Violated another Freeman in that Equity Relationship. Also Determined.
xxxiii. Restitution is a set of actions which effect at least a partial Settlement of an Alleged Violation. When taken by a Violator, Restitution attempts to restore the Lifetime Happiness of his Victim at the time of completion of such actions to that which it would have been if no Violation had occurred (ie. Restitute the Victim), as much as that is possible in reality. A Restitution Agreement is a Valid Contract detailing the amounts, types and methods of Restitution which is concluded Voluntarily. A Restitution Requirement is a Valid Contract fully detailing the amounts, types and methods of Restitution which is Determined by a Trial. A Restitutable Violation is one for which there exist Possible Actions of the
xxxiv. Peonage is a relationship between two or three Individuals, one of whom is called the Peon and the other is called the Major and the optional third is a Surrogate for the Peon. A Peon is an Individual whose Liberty is reduced by a Peonage Enjoinder relating either to his actions under a Restitution Requirement or to other aspects of the Restitution Requests of
xxxv. Universal Communications Network (UCN) is a service by which all Freemen can verify that an Individual is a Freeman; can find out the details of any Charges and Counter Charges against one Freeman by another Freeman and the status of such Charges, can read the Finding, Restitution Requirement, Peonage Enjoinder and Revocation status alteration which result from any Trial in which a Freeman has been a Disputant; can determine the boundaries and Covenants of any Real Estate Owned or Possessed by a Freeman; and may verify a Freeman's Ownership or Possession of such other Property as he wishes to record there. All such information concerning any particular Freeman is Searchably Linked with his Identifying Information.
Whereas, each Party to this Agreement:
a. has executed an Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty and is thus a Self-Sovereign Individual (Freeman);
b. agrees that no Individual is or can be Property;
c. is the Culpable Agent of all his actions;
d. wishes to maximize the scope of his Possible Actions which are Rational Choices;
e. wishes to not be Violated;
f. requires Restitution from his Violators where that is among their Possible Actions;
g. requires the possibility of Peonage for his Violators with himself or a co-Victim as Major where the Violation is Unrestitutable, where the Violator does not currently have sufficient resources for Restitution, and/or where there is risk that the Violator will Breach the Restitution Requirement;
h. requires that the Freeman status of any Individual making a Breach of this Agreement which is not Excusable be Revoked;
i. recognizes that his ability to enhance his Lifetime Happiness will be greatly increased by fostering the enlargement of his Possible Actions through joint projects with other Individuals under a social order which contains mutually agreed compossible2 procedures by which:
1. Ownership, Possession, Abandonment and Property Entitlement of Objects, information and Real Estate is established and
2. Charges, Counter Charges, Mediations, Trials, Restitutions and Peonage relationships are processed in an orderly manner;
j. wishes to communicate his intellectual and psychological emancipation to other Freemen in order to facilitate the establishment of Equity Relationships and to other Individuals in order to promote their Liberty and increase the numbers of Freemen.
Therefore does each Freeman signing this Agreement, or any copy of it, agree to the following:
A. Ownership, Abandonment, and Property Entitlement of Ownership and Possession
1. Ownership of Property must be acquired as follows: (which are termed "Acceptable Methods"):
a. In the case of Real Estate, finding it Unowned and Registering a Deed of Entitlement for it which must include Covenants for all abutting Real Estate whether Owned or not. The boundaries of Real Estate must be either clearly marked or described in some objective coordinate system so that it is possible for any Individual to determine whether or not any point in space is within or without the Real Estate. Before Unowned Real Estate can be Registered its boundaries must be physically directly and locally traversed.
b. In the case of an Object, either finding it Unowned and moving it inside a Possession, creating it from one's Property, or having it within one's Real Estate at the time of Registration of the Real Estate.
c. In the case of uncontained energy within Unowned Real Estate, containing it and moving it inside a Possession.
d. In the case of pure information, creating it.
e. Transfer from a previous Owner under the terms of a Valid Contract including, for Real Estate, the Registration of the new Deed of Entitlement.
2. Property must be considered as Abandoned when any of the following occur:
a. In the case of Real Estate and all Property within its boundaries, when its Registered Deed of Entitlement has not been Searchably Linked to its Owner for a period of 30 days.
b. In the case of an Object, when it is not within the boundaries of its Owner's Possessions, he has not transferred its Possession to another Individual by means of a Valid Contract, and it is not Stolen.
c. In the case of uncontained energy, when its Owner allows it to escape from within the boundaries of his Possessions.
d. In the case of pure information, when it is allowed to be known to any Human before a Valid Contract is concluded with that Human or his Guardian.
Property becomes Unowned when it is Abandoned.
3. The following are general Stipulations of Property Entitlement regarding Ownership and Possession:
a. The Possessor of an Object must intend to exercise Adequate Control over it.
b. When a Freeman or any of his Possessions are within the boundaries of the Possessions of another Individual, unless the other Individual is the Effective Cause of the Possession or Person of the Freeman being there, the Freeman must intend to either comply with the wishes of that Individual with respect to himself and/or the Trespassing Possession, or remove himself and/or it from within those boundaries. Except when the Owner and/or Possessor of the space is the Effective Cause of the Freeman and/or his Possession being there, these requirements to withdraw from within the boundaries of the space of the Owner and/or Possessor apply whether or not Permission was previously given, even if the Permission was in exchange for value from the Trespasser, and even if under a Valid Contract.
c. When a Freeman-A has given Permission to a Freeman-B to act in a manner that otherwise would be Trespass without such Permission having been given, that Permission must not be Withdrawn in a manner such that it is not among the Possible Actions of Freeman-B to prevent himself from perpetrating a Trespass against Freeman-A.
d. Any Object which is Owned or Possessed by Freeman-A which is within the boundaries of the Real Estate of Freeman-B who was not the Effective Cause of it being there nor had given Permission to Freeman-A for it to be there is then the Possession of Freeman-B even though Freeman-A remains its Owner or Possessor by Property Entitlement. An exception to this is if the Object in question was Stolen and its loss is Unrestitutable, in which case Freeman-B must return it to Freeman-A if Freeman-A is willing to pay the Restitution for any Trespass and cost of any action required by Freeman-B to effect the return, unless Freeman-B's loss in effecting the return would also be Unrestitutable.
B. General Stipulations Regarding Responsibilities and Dispute Settlement
1. Each Freeman must maintain the following information on a UCN in a form which can be found by the use of any search engine using the search phrases specified below together with the names of any Freeman involved. ie. it is "Searchably Linked" with the Identifying Information of any Freeman involved:
a. personal "Identifying Information" including at least: his commonly used name, a full head, face and shoulders picture, without hat or dark glasses, no older than one year, and a contact method which is monitored at least weekly; Search Phrase - "Freeman Identification".
b. copies of all executed Acceptable Declarations of Self-Sovereignty; Search Phrase - "DOSS".
c. copies of all executed Acceptable Social Contracts; Search Phrase - "Social Contract", including the designation In Breach where that has been a Trial Finding.
d. copies of all Charges and Counter Charges for which he has been or is a Plaintiff or Defendant, including links to the UCN information of the other Disputants and a specification of whether each Charge (Counter Charge) is Open, Dropped, or Satisfied; Search phrase - "Charges".
e. copies of Findings, Restitution Requirements and Peonage Enjoinders of any Determinations of Trials in which he has been a Plaintiff or Defendant; Search phrase - "Determinations".
f. the boundary descriptions of any Real Estate of which he is Owner, co-Owner or Possessor including any Covenants attached to the Real Estate; Search phrase - "Deeds".
g. the unique defining description of any other Property of which he is Owner, co-Owner or Possessor and wishes to Register; Search phrase - "Property Registration".
2. Each Freeman may exercise Protection of his Person and Property in whatever manner he wishes, but in doing so he must not Violate any Individual or, by Protecting a Disputant, prevent an Individual from gaining Restitution.
3. Each Freeman who interacts with another Freeman in any manner does so in the context of an Equity Relationship. In particular, this means that each Freeman must desire and intend that no other Freeman be Violated. In order to ensure that Restitution is forthcoming, when an Equity Relationship is Broken, the Disputants need no longer intend not to Violate, but must still fully restitute for any Violations that they commit, except that the reduction of his Liberty necessary to assure that an Alleged Violator becomes a Defendant and attends a Trial will not be considered to be a Violation if the Alleged Violator is Determined to be a Violator by the Finding of a Trial.
4. Each Freeman may conclude a Valid Contract with other
5. An Alleged Violation may be Settled Voluntarily by execution of a Valid Contract Stipulating the agreed Restitution. Such a Restitution Agreement is no different from any other Valid Contract and requires no publication of any information about the actions involved or the Restitution. Upon execution of the Restitution Agreement, the Equity Relationship between the Disputants is once more Intact.
6. If an Alleged Violation cannot be Voluntarily Settled, the Freemen in the Broken Equity Relationship must proceed as follows:
a. At any time during this procedure, any Disputant may nominate a Surrogate to represent him by informing the other Disputants of such representation. Hereafter in this section, unless stated otherwise any reference to either Defendant or Plaintiff also includes any Surrogate.
b. One or more Freemen in the Equity Relationship become
f. The Trial service contract will detail both the form of the Trial (venue, length, complexity, initial and interim publication, etc) and how all its costs should be paid. All participation in a Trial, except for that of the
g. Notwithstanding the above, a Trial always terminates when the
h. Notwithstanding that a Trial has concluded, any Disputant may become a Plaintiff with the same or different Charges within the same Equity Relationship including those about which a previous Trial has made a Determination.
7. A Restitution Agreement reached before the end of a Trial, has the same force of obligation as any other Valid Contract between Freemen, and upon its execution, the Broken Equity Relationship is once more Intact.
8. A Restitution Requirement (as a result of a Trial Determination) must be followed as Stipulated in the Restitution Requirement and the Equity Relationship remains Broken until the required Restitution actions are complete. If the Determination of the Trial also includes a Peonage Enjoinder, then the Equity Relationship remains Broken until the Peonage Enjoinder termination conditions are realized, which may be for the remainder of the life of the Peon. The Major may employ any other Freemen as his Agent with respect to his Major Privileges with respect to his Peon.
9. Peonage Enjoinders must not specify corporal punishment, or reduction of Liberty below a level necessary for the Peon to sustain his life. However, at the time of the Trial the Major has first right of determination of such "level necessary for the Peon to sustain his life". A Peon may always become a Plaintiff with his Major as Defendant to seek a new Trial. Even if his Freeman status has been Revoked, a Peon can still become a Plaintiff against his Major by means of a Freeman acting as his Surrogate.
10. The Equity Relationships of a Violator with all Freemen remain Intact, except when his Freeman status is Revoked or with respect to his
C. Interaction with non-Freemen and their Agencies
1. Each Freeman who interacts with another Individual in any manner does so in the context of an Equity Relationship. In particular, this means that each Freeman must desire and intend that no other Human be Violated. In order to ensure that Restitution is forthcoming, when an Equity Relationship is Broken, the Disputants need no longer intend not to Violate, but must still fully restitute for any Violations that they commit, except that the reduction of his Liberty necessary to assure that an Alleged Violator becomes a Defendant and attends a Trial will not be considered to be a Violation if the Alleged Violator is Determined to be a Violator by the Finding of a Trial.
2. Whenever a Freeman Violates a non-Freeman or is Violated by a non-Freeman, he must attempt to convince the Individual Involved to use the Settlement procedures described in an Acceptable Social Contract.
3. Failing the above, a Freeman may still seek Mediation or act as a Defendant or Plaintiff with respect to a non-Freeman, if he can find a Surrogate for the non-Freeman who will do his best to determine the reality of the situation from the Involved Individual's viewpoint and act in the Involved Individual's best interest to the extent that he can determine it. The Restitution Agreement/Requirement is then executed by the Surrogate, with any Surrogate fees and other costs paid from any net Restitution due before it is paid to the Involved Individual. If the net Restitution is due to the Freeman, he will have to find other jurisdictions in which to press his claim. However, unless the Restitution claim is paid, the Involved Individual is only eligible to become a Freeman after concluding a Restitution Agreement for its payment.
4. Failing the above, any Freeman may become the Surrogate for a non-Freeman as a Plaintiff in a Trial with a Freeman. The Charge directly from the Surrogate to the Freeman will then be that the Freeman is in Breach of the Stipulations of this Agreement (see Whereas c.), but at the same time the Surrogate can act as Agent for the non-Freeman to gain Restitution for him. The result of this Trial will be two Restitution Requirements and Findings. One between the Surrogate and the Freeman for the fees and costs of the Surrogate, and the second between the Freeman and the Individual Involved as in 3. above. Both Surrogate and Freeman must execute both Restitution Requirements and both Findings (one of them potentially being Breach of this Agreement).
5. Excepting Revocation of Freeman status (see E.4. below), no Peonage Enjoinder may be sought by or awarded to a Surrogate, or the Involved Individual for whom he is acting, as a Determination of a Trial.
6. A Freeman must not Voluntarily initiate the use of non-Freeman agencies unless he has no other method to obtain Restitution and must intend to never cooperate with such agencies except as he thinks there will be net harm to him by not doing so.
7. If, nevertheless, a Freeman is forced by a non-Freeman to submit to one or more of the non-Freeman's agencies then he must do everything possible to minimize the effects of his submission on other Freemen.
8. Involuntary non-compliance with the terms of this Agreement from whatever cause does not release a Freeman from responsibility for any aspect of this Agreement, and by implication, from any Stipulations of Valid Contracts, Restitution Agreements/Requirements and Peonage Enjoinders.
D. Acceptability of Other Social Contracts
1. A social contract shall be an Acceptable Social Contract if:
a. Its executor has signed an Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty.
b. It requires that its executor's non-observance of his desire and intent not to Violate any non-Freeman is grounds for Breach of the social contract, unless the only alternative would be grave irreversible harm.
c. It establishes standards and Property Entitlements concerning the acquisition, Ownership, Possession, Control, transfer and Abandonment of Property which are essentially equivalent to those of this Agreement.
d. It establishes required procedures for
e. It requires executors to use a UCN for the same purposes as this Agreement.
f. It does not contain any Stipulations which reduce the Liberty of its executors more than do those of this Agreement.
2. A Freeman with respect to one social contract is ipso facto a Freeman with respect to all mutually Acceptable Social Contracts.
3. All social contracts which do not have the minimum features described above are Unacceptable Social Contracts to the executors of this Agreement and executors of such Unacceptable Social Contracts are treated as non-Freemen.
4. Notwithstanding the above, a Freeman may decide to execute two or more social contracts, even mutually Unacceptable Social Contracts ones. However, doing so does not absolve him of any obligations under this Agreement.
E. Term, Breach, Arbitration and Termination of this Agreement
1. This Agreement shall become a Valid Contract once executed and published on a UCN.
2. This Agreement shall be "Terminated" for a given executor when he executes and publishes a "Notice of Termination" on a UCN Searchably Linked to his Identifying Information. His status under this Agreement will then terminate 30 days after the publication of such a Notice.
3. The Social Imperatives of this Agreement are the "Whereas declarations" and all Stipulations signified by the term "must". Where a Social Imperative relates to a positive action to be taken, any Freeman who is in Voluntary non-compliance with any Social Imperative beyond the time Stipulated in this Agreement or 30 days, where no time is Stipulated, is open to a Charge of Breach of this Agreement. Non-Freemen are just as responsible for obeying the Social Imperatives of this Agreement as are Freemen, in the sense that if a Non-Freeman Breaches this Agreement, he can be Charged through a Surrogate and all the same conditions will apply to the Non-Freeman as would apply to a Freeman.
4. Any Alleged Breaching Freeman of this Agreement is, thus, an Alleged Violator of all other Freemen who have executed this Agreement and other Acceptable Social Contracts. Therefore, any other Freeman may become a Plaintiff and initiate Charges against the Alleged Breaching Freeman. Such Charges must specify both the event which constitutes an Alleged Breach and the Restitution Request which must include a requested duration for which the Revocation of Freeman status must remain in effect with respect to this Agreement and all Acceptable Social Contracts. If the Breach is validated at a Trial, the only acceptable Excuses are that such Breach was the only alternative to grave irreversible harm (if intentional), was Involuntary or was merely the Violation of making a Charge Determined at Trial to be invalid, which Excuses, if validated by the Trial, will allow a dismissal of the Breach Charge. However, the Breaching Freeman (now Excused) must still fully Restitute all Freemen Violated by any of his actions according to the terms of this Agreement.
5. Arbitration of this Agreement, including all Charges of Breach of this Agreement, must be done by means of a Trial which must include a Judge and any other Freemen who wish to be part of the Jury, which body becomes the Arbitrators.
6. Any Individual against whom there is a Finding of Breach of this Agreement or any other Acceptable Social Contract, or who has Terminated this Agreement and has not executed another Acceptable Social Contract, is a non-Freeman with respect to this Agreement. If the Termination is by a Finding of Breach at a Trial, then the
7. Even though Breach of this Agreement is effectively a Violation of all Freemen, if a Charge of Breach is validated by a Determination and Freeman status is Revoked, no other Freeman may use the same validated Breaching Event to make another such Charge.
8. Notwithstanding the Termination of this Agreement by an Individual, Voluntarily or by Breach, all other Valid Contracts executed by him and other Freemen must remain Unbreached. In addition, all Violations that occurred during the time of his Freeman status whenever discovered must still be Settled under this Agreement.
9. An Individual who has Breached this Agreement or any other Acceptable Social Contract must remain a non-Freeman for the duration of the Revocation period which was Determined by the Trial, and must have concluded all necessary Restitution Agreements before he can again become a Freeman. In addition, any Individual who becomes a Freeman must include within his UCN information all prior information which was necessary to be included on a UCN under this Agreement or any other Acceptable Social Contract.
F. Execution, Attesting and Publication
1. As soon as this Agreement becomes a Valid Contract by my execution and publication of it on a UCN, any interactions/relationships which were in place with Individuals before my execution of this Agreement will be Equity Relationships.
2. I do solemnly declare that I must abide by all the terms of this Agreement which will be termed my Social Contract once it is executed and published on a UCN. Furthermore, I accept that my execution of this Agreement does not make it a Valid Contract nor does it have any effect on others until it is published on a UCN.
Executed on this ____ day of _________ (month) in the year ____ AD,
by ____________________________ (print name),
a Self-Sovereign Individual accessible via email address:__________________
I, ____________________________ (print name),
a Self-Sovereign Individual accessible via email address:__________________,
have seen a picture identification (ID) of the Executor and I attest to the best of my ability that he/she and his/her signature above match that ID.
Published on the Internet on: ___________ (date)
Appendix A. Required Text for an Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty
The Declarer holds that the following statements about the essential nature of humans are true of reality:
1. there exists a set of social meta-needs - responsibilities and entitlements - which mutually, consistently and concurrently optimizes the potential of each agreeing Individual to achieve his individual purposes; and that to enable such optimization of potential, this compossible2 set has to be recorded as a manifest mutual understanding, a "social contract", specifying the relationships between self-sovereign individuals, and executed by each agreeing individual.
2. that such a social contract requires, at the least, that each executor accepts the entitlement of each other executor to self-sovereignty; that each executor declares his desire and intention not to threaten or initiate physical or fraudulent actions which harm the person or property of any other executor as judged by that executor himself; and that each executor will fully restore the lifetime integrated happiness of each other executor who he does so violate, to the best of the violating executor's ability as determined by the violated executor.
3. that whenever any human or group of humans, whether calling themselves a government or not, becomes destructive of individual self-sovereignty and of any social contract between self-sovereign individuals, the individual purposes of each individual who has made this declaration and executed such a social contract allow him to resist and stop this destruction by whatever means necessary, and, moreover, even require him to do so to the extent that his individual purposes can be maintained.
I, the Declarer am an adult human, with nothing but the best of intentions toward all those who refrain from initiating or threatening violence against my person and property, and from defrauding me, hereby publish and declare:
A. that my essential human characteristics make me a self-sovereign individual with the use and control of my own person and the need to use and control the product of my person according to my individual purposes;
B. that as a self-sovereign individual, I no longer sanction, nor have any duty to obey the laws, regulations or agents of any governments, and that all power of government agencies over me, is and ought to be totally dissolved;
C. that in order to promote my happiness, it is my desire, my intention and my responsibility to not violate the person or property of any human, to defend my own person and property, to contract with other self-sovereign individuals for services and for trade according to mutually agreed terms, to fully restitute any other human for any actual harm done to them by my actions, and to do all other acts which I alone decide are in my long-range best interest according to the laws of reality; and
D. that in order to promote the conditions under which my actions and the actions of others will optimally contribute to the lifetime happiness of each of us, I acknowledge the self-sovereignty of every other human and his entitlement to act in the same manner as I stipulate that I will do within this document;
E. that in order to implement these declarations as a clear consistent mutual manifest understanding of the compossible2 set of responsibilities and entitlements which optimize the potential of each self-sovereign individual to achieve his individual purposes, I have executed and published a social contract.
Appendix B. Acceptable Declaration of Self-Sovereignty linked with this Natural Social Contract
Declaration of Individual Independence
1. Text for definition of "consideration" taken from Duhaime's Law Dictionary
2. Compossible means "consistently, mutually sustainable."